My 18 year old son created this recipe when there wasn’t much left in the pantry and fridge…those are always the best. It turned out great and is a favorite with my teens! It is easy to make and feeds a crowd. This recipe uses American cheese, however, shredded cheddar or mozzarella would work even better. But you can use whatever kind of cheese you have on hand. Enjoy!
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 32 minutes
- 2 (16 oz.) boxes of elbow macaroni ( .89 cents each) $1.78
- (10.5 oz) cream of celery (condensed soup) $1.29
- Around 3/4 cup bread crumbs $ .50
- Around 2 Tablespoons butter $ .25
- 6 Slices American Cheese $1.00
- Grease bottom and sides of an 8″ x 12″ pan with butter.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions, around 12 minutes.
- Drain noodles, then return to pan.
- Pour cream of celery over noodles. Stir together.
- Lightly dust bottom of baking pan with bread crumbs. Then layer as follows: 1/2 the elbows; sprinkle bread crumbs; torn pieces of cheese (using 3 of the slices); Then put remainder of the noodles over this; sprinkle the rest of the bread crumbs; then top with the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in a 350 F oven for 20 minutes.