Pulses are so good for you and they can be so yummy! In Czech tradition, lentils also bring you wealth (I think it is their round coin shape), especially if eaten on New Year’s Day. And, if eating lentils on New Year’s Day can bring you wealth, think of what will happen if you eat lentils throughout the year. I even have proof that THIS salad actually does work in bringing wealth — after having this version of lentil salad last year, we finally started getting our finances in order and started living more frugally! This year, we are definitely wealthier. OK, perhaps we cannot give all the credit to the salad, but it certainly didn’t hurt!
The salad is particularly great in the summer time and it is a wonderful way to celebrate the beginning of a new school year. So, Happy New (School) Year! May it be a year filled with learning, fun, and yes, even wealth.
Colorful Lentil Salad
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 1/2 small onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, chopped fine or grated
- 1 small tomato, diced
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, diced
- 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin, ground
- salt and pepper, to taste
- cilantro, fresh
- 1/2 cup feta cheese
- Rinse lentils.
- Cook lentils in lots of water until tender but not mushy.
- Drain and rinse briefly in cold water.
- Combine the lentils and vegetables. Mix gently to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine the oils, vinegar and seasonings.
- Add to vegetable and mix gently.
- Add crumbled feta cheese.
- Refrigerate for a minimum of one hour to 24 hours to allow flavours to combine.