Jessica from Utah Deal Diva shares a delicious (and might I add, quick!) meal with us!
Food rarely goes bad at my house. Not just because my five-year old already eats like he’s 15, but because I regularly scan the contents of my fridge and pantry in an effort to use everything up before it turns into a science experiment! (C’mon- you all know what I’m talking about!) This recipe is a result of me getting creative with the last 1/3 of the bag of tortilla chips. My husband was reluctant to take a bite when he’d heard what I’d made it with, but was pleasantly surprised! Now, we look forward to this casserole when there are nothing but crumbs left at the bottom of the tortilla chip bag!
I calculated this recipe to cost a total of $3.76, or about .75 per serving.
This recipe is very versatile. If you don’t have pinto beans, use kidney or black beans instead. I’m a big fan of using what you have on hand. If your family likes more or less flavor, adjust spices accordingly!
Chicken Tortilla Chip Casserole
Yield – 5-6 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- Can diced tomatoes
- About 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- 1 small can green chilies
- 1 can beans- pinto, kidney, black- whatever you have (Or learn how to cook your own beans here.)
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups crushed tortilla chips
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp taco seasoning (Or make your own taco seasoning here.)
- Salt to taste
- Drain most of the liquid from the tomatoes and pour in an 9×13 baking dish. Sprinkle tomatoes with seasonings. Drain and rinse black beans and spread over tomatoes.
- Crush chips and layer over the black beans.
- Combine all liquids and mix thoroughly. Pour over the chips. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes. Spread cheese on top and let melt in the oven for an additional 2-3 minutes.
- Sprinkle a few cilantro leaves on top for added flavor!
Jessica is a mom of three and loves experimenting with new recipes in the kitchen. She blogs about all the great deals & inexpensive family events available in Utah at her blog Utah Deal Diva.