Another budget friendly simple meal to make for your family! Michael and I rely on very quick meals because we both currently work outside the home. I have an hour commute so by the time I get home it can often be after 6:30pm! I am chef in our house, which means our meals must be quick, easy, tasty, and nutritious.
Michael and I try to have a vegetarian meal at least once a week. Vegetarian meals are often cheaper than meals made with meat or chicken, and they can be very healthy and a light alternative to heavier “meaty” meals. The best part? This meal is naturally gluten free!
All the ingredients for this meal are in our probably in your pantry and you can’t get much more frugal than that! It’s a great meal to rely on when you’re short on cash or if you enjoy occasional vegetarian meals! The fun part is making the homemade taco seasoning! This is a much cheaper alternative than store bought taco seasoning, and it’s guaranteed to be gluten free and safe for your family! You can make this recipe ahead of time and store it in snack-size ziplock bags!
Spicy Black Bean Taco Salad
Yield – 4 large servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1 (12 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed (.79) (Or learn how to cook your own beans here.)
- 1 (12 oz.) can sweet corn kernels, drained and rinsed (.79)
- 1 recipe Gluten Free Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix (recipe below — practically free in your pantry!!)
- Chopped lettuce (1.09)
- 1 tomato, diced (.49)
- Corn Chips or tortilla chips, gently crushed (1.69 on sale)
- Pour black beans and sweet corn in a medium sized saucepan with 1/4 cup of water. Add homemade taco seasoning.
- Cook on medium high until heated through.
- Serve over chopped lettuce and sprinkle with diced tomato and crushed tortilla chips.
Total Cost for Entire Meal = $4.85
Carrie is an eastern NC resident with a passion for frugal gluten-free cooking and baking. She loves helping people with food intolerances. You can email Carrie at [email protected] and read her blog at http://www.gingerlemongirl.com.