Call me lazy, or call me smart.
However you look at it, these instant pot mashed potatoes might just save your Thanksgiving!?!
Well, maybe not save it…but it will help get one side dish OFF the stovetop and keep from heating up the kitchen more than it already will be.
Also, these cook beautifully and make for delicious bowl of mashed taters – skin and all.
Because when it’s Thanksgiving morning and it’s time to start on the mashed potatoes, the very last thing you want to have to do is peel the potatoes. (Ask me how I know.)
If we can take one thing off your Thanksgiving morning meal prep and to-do list, peeling potatoes is a great one!
Typically mashed potatoes are made with Russet potatoes – because they have a slightly higher starch count than other varieties, they make for the creamiest.
But I might around that the buttery-ness and the crisp-ness of small gold potatoes make for an amazing bowl of mashed potatoes too. Especially when you don’t have to peel them and they cook so quickly and easily in the Instant Pot.
And if you’re looking for the best Instant Pot, this will be helpful.
Let’s get to the recipe, shall we?!?
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
Yield – 8 to 10 side dish servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 12 minutes
- 5 lbs. gold potatoes
- 1 cup hot water
- Milk, sour cream and/or cream cheese
- Garlic powder to taste
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Halve the gold potatoes.
- Add 1 cup hot water to the instant pot insert and then add the steam rack that came with the appliance. Add the halved gold potatoes onto the steam rack.
- Close lid and set to Sealing.
- Cook on Manual, High Pressure for 12 minutes.
- Quick release, then drain off the water and excess liquid.
- Mash the potatoes with potato masher and then add butter, milk/sour cream/cream cheese to taste, along with garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes as side dish for weeknight meal or holiday meal.
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday #138.