I’ve got just the solution for you with this original (first ever!) 20 meals for $150 plan. For months I found myself playing this game of “mix and match” with ingredients from Costco and would cook some, freeze some…and it dawned on me that I can’t be the only one with this “use it all up before it goes bad” problem, so I pulled together a list of recipes and ingredients where you can make 20 meals for $150!
Let’s get to it, shall we?!?
- Yes, I realize this makes for $7.50 dinners. Meat at Costco is more expensive than sale prices at grocery stores, and many argue that the quality is better. That explains that!
- Produce prices may vary by region. And season.
- Meals are for a family of 4. Larger families, or families with teenagers will need to adjust quantities.
- Meals are as kid friendly, family friendly, and allergy friendly as I could make them. Hopefully you will enjoy them!
- Mix and Match Meals – because of the bulk purchasing, this is really a game of mixing and matching ingredients. The ingredients are very common and work in a wide variety of recipes, so feel free to use them in other recipes besides those listed below.
- I would expect you to have some ingredients needed for the different recipes in your pantry, like spices, soy sauce, etc. In the recipe/ingredient list below, I’ve only included the ingredients from the Costco purchase list.
- Swap Idea – save a few bucks and get a 10 lb. bag of rice and not the quinoa. I just like quinoa, and I like that it has a higher protein content than rice. Make rice with corn, black beans, etc instead of the quinoa. You could also serve the rice alongside the taco/tortilla meals too.
- As you’ll see if you really analyze this chicken scratch, I forgot to add the peppers to the bottom portion where I priced everything out. So I added them as optional as it would push the total cost to $155 if you added them.
- Grilled Chicken with Mango & Avocado Salsa
- Slow Cooker Chicken Parmesan
- (2) Spaghetti with Meat Sauce
- (2) Beef & Bean Soft Tacos (or Beef & Bean Oven Tacos, if you have hard shell tacos on hand!)
- (2) Ranchero Chicken
- (2) Potato & Egg Breakfast Tacos
- (2) Slow Cooker Beef Stew – freezer pack
- (2) Slow Cooker Italian Chicken & Potatoes – freezer pack
- (2) batches Herbed Meatballs – for freezer
- (2) Beef Stirfry with Broccoli – freezer pack
- (2) Quinoa with corn & black beans
Ingredients & Price List
- 1 big package of chicken breasts (contains 6 – 1 lb packages) ~ $19
- 1 big package of ground beef (about 5 1/2 to 6 lb) ~$17
- 1 package of beef for stew (about 4 lbs) ~$14
- 1 – 5 lb bag of baby carrots $4.99
- 1 – 15 lb bag of gold potatoes $9.99
- 1 – 6 ct package of avocados $5.49
- 8-9 mangoes or 1 box $5.99
- 1 – 40 ct bag of 6″ tortillas $3.19
- 1 – 36 ct bag of Costco bakery dinner rolls $4.49
- 1 – 4 lb package of frozen broccoli $5.89
- 1 – 18 ct package of eggs $1.99
- 1 – 6 lb package of spaghetti noodles $6.59
- 2 pack Prego pasta sauce $7.49 (MINUS $2.30 coupon!)
- 2 pack Kirkland salsa $7.49
- 1 – 24 oz. container Parmesan cheese $7.99
- 1 – 4 lb bag of quinoa $10.99
- 1 – 8 ct package of canned corn $7.89
- 1 – 8 ct package of canned black beans $5.79
- 1 – 8 ct package of canned tomatoes $5.99
- Optional – a 6 pack fresh peppers $6.49
Total – $149.94
(or $156.43 if you get the peppers too!)
Leftovers – you will have lots leftover too…including a jar of spaghetti sauce, lots of quinoa, jar of salsa, several pounds of potatoes, a ton of Parmesan cheese, and smaller quantities of other ingredients. I did not reflect these “leftovers” in the total cost, so it would really be $10-$15 less than $150!!!
Get the printables for this plan…
While we have all the content available to piece together from the site, we thought we’d simplify the experience for you with this printable. This printable has the complete grocery shopping list (with south TX Costco prices), as well as complete recipes with ingredients broken down to make it easy for you.
All in one place y’all! This is worth gold when it comes to saving time in preparing to shop and cook your meals.
Well, maybe not gold…but way more than $2.49!!!
Please don’t forget to check out the other 7 plans and their various features in our new E-Store.
You might also like our join the $5 Meal Plan family and get weekly meal plans delivered to your inbox each week!