My teens like a plainer version of many recipes. This Beef Stroganoff does not have any mushrooms, and is very basic. It meets the needs of my picky eaters. It is also made with ground beef, making it very easy to prepare.
Yield – 8 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 8 minutes
- One pound ground beef $2.80
- One pound package of extra wide egg noodles $1.89
- Can of condensed beef broth (10 oz.) $1.69
- One Tablespoon onion powder .03 cents
- Sour Cream (8 oz.) .75 cents
- One loaf of bakery Italian bread $1.59
- Parmesan Cheese (for bread) .04 cents
- Vegetable Oil (to toss over noodles) .05 cents
- Butter (for bread) .16 cents
- Prepare noodles according to package directions (boil for 8 minutes). Drain and toss with a little vegetable oil.
- Brown beef in frying pan until fully cooked. Then add beef broth and the Onion powder. (Do not add water.) Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium/low. Continue to lightly boil for around 8 minutes. Turn off heat. About half of the broth will absorb. It is okay for there to still be liquid left when you shut it off.
- Pour beef over the noodles. Stir in all the sour cream.
- Cut Italian bread into thick slices. Place on foil – lined cookie sheet. Butter each piece, then sprinkle Parmesan cheese over them. Broil for around 1 minute, or until lightly toasted.