Are you a foodie on a budget?
Here are 5 frugal substitutes for fancy ingredients. Swap and save!
- Asiago for Parmesan. Subbing Asiago cheese for Parmesan can save you over double what you would pay for Parmesan (typically around $5.99/lb vs. $11.99+/lb). And for more savings, buy cheese whole and slice/grate it yourself instead of buying it pre-grated.
- Sweet savings! Swap a Maple/Agave Blend for 100% Real Maple Syrup on your french toast, pancakes or yogurt and save 20-30%.
- Firing up the bbq for grilled fish? Making fish tacos? Replace Ahi tuna or Cod for Mahi Mahi and save 15-40%. You can find ahi or cod for between $5-7/lb versus $8-12/lb for more expensive white fish.
- Let them eat beef! Go for chuck eye, flank or skirt steak instead of more expensive cuts and save dramatically! A good marinade will be your friend as these cuts can be a but tougher, but on the grill, in your favorite Mexican dish or served over rice, these steaks will be a crowd-pleaser that will make your budget happy too.
- For quiches, tarts, pastas or casseroles, substitute swiss cheese for gruyere and save some dough without sacrificing flavor. Gruyere can run upwards of $8 per pound, compared to $4-5 for Swiss.
Kelly started Frugal Foodie Family to marry her passion for cooking and eating well with her love for budgeting. Her goal is to help families eat well on a budget, typically around $400/month for a family of 4. Get recipes, tips, restaurant recommendations or learn more at www.FrugalFoodieFamily.com.