Yield – 4 8″ pizzas
Preparation Time - 15 minutes
Cooking Time - 12 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups flour ($.56) (biscuit dough)
- 1 t. salt (biscuit dough)
- 2 t. baking powder ($.16) (biscuit dough)
- 2/3 cup vegetable shortening ($ .62) (biscuit dough)
- 1 1/2 cups milk ($.27) (biscuit dough)
- 1 28 oz. can plain tomato sauce ($1)
- 3 8 oz. bags of shredded mozzarella cheese ($5.97)
- Plus favorite pizza toppings
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Mix together the flour, salt, and baking powder. Add the vegetable shortening. Use a fork or pastry cutter to press shortening into the flour mixture, until it resembles course crumbs. Add milk. Stir. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut biscuit dough into four equal sections.
- Roll out one of the doughs into a flat, circular shape, around 8″.
- Place dough onto a cookie sheet or round cake pan. Pre-cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top with sauce and cheese and whatever else you like. (I use 3/4 of a bag of cheese for each pizza.)
- Bake for around 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling and center of the crust has cooked through.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.