I need to warn you about this meal.
You’re gonna want to lick your plate clean. While we don’t normally let our kids lick their plates, we do on occasion and when we’re feeling silly. And we licked our plates at this meal.
This recipe does call for jalapenos – which have a bit of kick to them. If you want to “spice it down,” then you could use a milder pepper like poblano or a totally neutral (non-spicy) pepper like a green bell pepper. Or omit them entirely.
My husband and I ended up eating the jalapenos from the kids’ portions and that was just fine with us! 😉
This is happiness on a plate and I hope you’ll lick your plates clean at this meal too!
P.S. Here’s my favorite (and cheapest!) way to make shredded chicken in the slow cooker, as well as how to pull chicken from a rotisserie chicken. (And if you have a Costco membership, you can get pre-cooked and shredded chicken now.)
- 10 oz red enchilada sauce
- 16 corn tortillas, cut into 1 inch strips
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced
- 16 oz refried beans
- 1 cup salsa
- 4 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- 10 oz diced tomatoes and green chilies
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9X13 pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Place a few tablespoons of enchilada sauce in the bottom of the pan. Spread it along the bottom.
- Layer half of the tortillas strips along the bottom. Top with 1/2 of the chicken, 1/2 of the onion, and 1/2 of the jalapeno slices.
- Spread the entire can of refried beans over that layer and top it with the salsa. Sprinkle half of the cheese over this layer.
- Layer the remaining tortilla strips, chicken, onion, and jalapeno. Top with the diced tomatoes and green chilies, the remainder of the enchilada sauce, and the rest of the cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until the cheese is melted and the lasagna is heated through. The edges should be nice and bubbly.
Pin all of our 31 Days of FreezEasy Meals here!
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for FreezEasy Meal Supplies:
- Freezer Bags, gallon size
- Freezer Bags, 2 gallon size
- Disposable 9×5 Loaf Pans or Reusable Silicon Freezer Safe/Oven Safe Loaf Pans
- Disposable 9×13 Aluminum Foil Pans or Reusable Silicon Freezer/Oven Safe 9×13 Pan (I’d recommend using a baking sheet with this one when cooking!)
- Heavy Duty Aluminum Foil
- Melamine Mixing Bowls with pouring spout, 3 ct. set (3 qt., 2 qt., and 1 1/2 qt.)
- Dishwasher safe Cutting Boards, set of 4
See all of our 31 Days of FreezEasy Meals here!
Other 31 Days of Series to check out:
- 31 Days of 5-Ingredient Meals
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of Healthy Snacks
- 31 Days of Holiday Sweets & Treats
- 31 Days of Rotisserie Chicken Recipes
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Summer Slow Cooker Meals