Sloppy joes. Quite possibly one of the best and easiest freezer meals ever. Well, “meal starter” anyways. I love having “meal starters” in the freezer, along with complete meals. A meal starter is something like sloppy joe sauce. It’s not the entire meal…but part of the meal. The start to a meal.
Spaghetti sauce is another great “meal starter.” Even just seasoned ground beef. It’s a part of a meal that has been started and then put into the freezer.
There’s something about having part of a meal cooked and in the freezer that just makes the dinner prep easier. If you want to give this “meal starter” thing a try, double up on these cheesesteak sloppy joes and then freeze the half you don’t eat the night you make it! Boom, your first “meal starter” is in the freezer.
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Clementines, bananas - fresh fruit
- Brown the ground beef. (If you want softer green peppers, cook them with the ground beef.) Drain and let sit.
- In the same skillet, add the tomato sauce, minced onion, minced garlic, vinegar, mustard and brown sugar. Stir and let simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the brown beef and (uncooked or cooked) green peppers and combine. Simmer over low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon the sloppy joe meat over the buns and top with slice of cheese. Let the warm sauce melt the cheese, or microwave.
- Serve Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes with chips and fresh fruit.
Other 31 Days of Series to check out:
- 31 Days of 5-Ingredient Meals
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of Healthy Snacks
- 31 Days of Holiday Sweets & Treats
- 31 Days of Rotisserie Chicken Recipes
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Summer Slow Cooker Meals