Sloppy joes. Quite possibly one of the best and easiest freezer meals ever. Well, “meal starter” anyways. I love having “meal starters” in the freezer, along with complete meals. A meal starter is something like sloppy joe sauce. It’s not the entire meal…but part of the meal. The start to a meal.
Spaghetti sauce is another great “meal starter.” Even just seasoned ground beef. It’s a part of a meal that has been started and then put into the freezer.
There’s something about having part of a meal cooked and in the freezer that just makes the dinner prep easier. If you want to give this “meal starter” thing a try, double up on these cheesesteak sloppy joes and then freeze the half you don’t eat the night you make it! Boom, your first “meal starter” is in the freezer.
Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes
- 1 lb. ground chuck
- 1 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 tsp minced onion
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp prepared mustard
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 4 whole wheat buns
- 4 slices provolone cheese
- Clementines, bananas - fresh fruit side
- Chips side
- Brown the ground beef. (If you want softer green peppers, cook them with the ground beef.) Drain and let sit.
- In the same skillet, add the tomato sauce, minced onion, minced garlic, vinegar, mustard and brown sugar. Stir and let simmer over low heat for 5 to 10 minutes. Add the brown beef and (uncooked or cooked) green peppers and combine. Simmer over low heat for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until ready to serve.
- Spoon the sloppy joe meat over the buns and top with slice of cheese. Let the warm sauce melt the cheese, or microwave.
- Serve Cheesesteak Sloppy Joes with chips and fresh fruit.
Erin's Favorite Freezer Cooking Essentials
Instant Pot 6 Quart, 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
I’ve included a short list of crucial appliances and cookware that you might use on your prep day, but most likely you’ll use them on your “cook the freezer meal” day!
Instant Pot 8 Quart, 7-in-1 Electric Pressure Cooker
Crock-Pot 6.5-Quart, Programmable Slow Cooker
It cooks evenly and well and has been used to test hundreds of our recipes!
Cuisinart Food Processor
Can assist with chopping, slicing and dicing of different veggies.
Reusable Silicone Food Storage Bags
Airtight Seal Food Preservation Bags for Vegetables, Liquid, Meat, Lunch, Freezer Meals, Leftovers
2 - Large 50oz.
4 - Small 30oz.
Pyrex Glass Bakeware and Food Storage Set, 8-Piece
A variety of glass bakeware will help you make all kinds of meals in the oven – from meatloafs to casseroles to roasted chicken and more. We recommend a set of bakeware that includes a variety of sizes.
J.A. HENCKELS INTERNATIONAL Knife Block Set, 12-piece
A good set of knives is crucial to success in the kitchen!
XL Bamboo Cutting Board with Juice Groove
A long lasting, durable cutting board is also crucial for freezer meal prep success!
Reynolds Freezer Paper Plastic Coated 50 Sq Ft (Pack of 1)
Perfect for wrapping meats, putting in between freezer bags to stop the stick, and many other kitchen uses!
Other 31 Days of Series to check out:
- 31 Days of 5-Ingredient Meals
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of Healthy Snacks
- 31 Days of Holiday Sweets & Treats
- 31 Days of Rotisserie Chicken Recipes
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Summer Slow Cooker Meals
Leave a Reply