I adore a bowl of Minestrone soup.
I adore pretty much any bowl of soup. And that’s why I’ve loved this month…sharing all these amazing soup recipes with you. My taste buds and tummy are happy, and I hope yours will be too…as you try these new recipes!
I like to make my Minestrone soup with butter as the fat base for sauteing the veggies. It some how adds just the teensiest hint of creaminess to the soup. You could certainly use olive oil, but try it with butter and see if you notice a difference!
Also, I highly recommend the fresh basil garnish. Might not be worth spending $2 for a little packet of basil from the store…unless you plan to make a fresh basil pesto in the same week! (Then it’s totally worth buying the little pack of basil!) But if you have a basil plant on your porch or in your garden, go tear off a few leaves and chop-chop-chop to garnish this soup.
Note: I’ve tagged this as vegetarian, so if you want to make this vegetarian…use vegetable stock 🙂
Divine…hope you enjoy it!!!
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 lb. green beans, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 15 oz. can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 cups elbow pasta noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parmesan cheese & fresh basil, optional garnishes
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and saute the onion, celery, garlic and carrots for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the green beans, tomato sauce, kidney beans and stock. Bring to bubbling.
- Once bubbling, stir in the pasta noodles and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until al dente. Seaon with salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove soup from the heat and prepare to spoon into serving bowls. (You don’t want the pasta to overcook!)
- Serve Minestrone Soup with optional Parmesan cheese and chopped fresh basil.
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for Chili, Soup & Stew Supplies:
- 6 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 12 qt Large Nonstick Stockpot
- 6.5 qt. Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Soup Ladle (dishwasher safe!)
- 4 piece Stoneware Soup Bowl Set
See all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners