First, let me start by saying this is not Italian Wedding Soup. (See that recipe here.)
This is a more tomato-y version of Italian Wedding Soup. It’s thicker and more like spaghetti and meatballs in soup form. And using small shell pasta instead of spaghetti.
Also, I’m very much a ‘make your own’ kind of girl. But this week, something had to give. I’ve been traveling more than normal. Got hit with a cold two weeks ago. Then the dreaded ‘fall grasses’ allergies…which pretty much knocks me on my back every year. Needless to say, I’ve been dragging along.
So I ‘cheated’ and bought pre-made meatballs. Just because….life happens. And I’m cool with that.
(If you want to make your own meatballs, let me suggest these Herbed Meatballs. They would be perfect in this soup.)
Here’s my “spaghetti and meatballs” as soup recipe…
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 carrot sticks, peeled and chopped
- 6 cups chicken or beef stock
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 10 oz. box frozen spinach
- 12 to 16 meatballs pre-made or homemade
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 8 oz small shell pasta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- To a large saucepan, add the onion and carrots and saute them in the olive oil for a few minutes. Pour in the chicken stock, crushed tomatoes and frozen spinach and bring to bubbling. Add the meatballs, basil, and thyme, then the small shell pasta.
- (Note: if making your own meatballs, you'll need to brown them in a skillet before adding them to the soup.)
- Let cook over medium low heat, at rolling boil until pasta is cooked, about 8 minutes. If cooking raw meatballs, simmer until meatballs are cooked through.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve Italian Meatball Soup.
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for Chili, Soup & Stew Supplies:
- 6 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 12 qt Large Nonstick Stockpot
- 6.5 qt. Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Soup Ladle (dishwasher safe!)
- 4 piece Stoneware Soup Bowl Set
See all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners