As a kid, my mom would escape the San Antonio heat and take all of us up to northern Minnesota where she grew up and were her family had a small lake cabin. We would stay for weeks and weeks, playing in the cooler than TX summer sun and having all kinds of fun with our cousins and family.
It’s in northern MN where I fell in love with wild rice. My grandma used to make an amazing wild rice pilaf…I can still taste it today. And when I make anything with wild rice nowadays, a flood of memories from this carefree life with my family up north.
But I have a secret to share about this soup.
It’s not the wild rice that I adore. (Well, I do…and I love the flood of memories that comes with it.) It’s the combination of the wild rice, the pearled onions and the chicken.
I enjoy onions in general…raw on a salad, caramelized for a grilled cheese sandwich, cooked into casseroles or soups. But I ADORE pearled onions. They have a sweet-ish and ‘soft’ flavor for an onion. And they are a fantastic complement to the strong wild rice flavor.
This soup is fabulous…you should try it this fall!!!
Pin all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews here!
Follow $5 Dinners’ board 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews on Pinterest.
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for Chili, Soup & Stew Supplies:
- 6 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 12 qt Large Nonstick Stockpot
- 6.5 qt. Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Soup Ladle (dishwasher safe!)
- 4 piece Stoneware Soup Bowl Set
See all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners
Leave a Reply