This homemade Broccoli Cheese Soup is going to knock your socks off.
I’m not going to lie. I couldn’t stop eating this soup. I had it for dinner. For lunch again. And pretty much anytime I was hungry until it was gone.
And then I might have shed a tear.
You’re not going to want to skimp on the calories with this one. You need to use the cream. And all the cheese. It really is too bad that the broccoli calories don’t counter balance the cheesy-creamy calories.
But this is comfort food. Not calorie counting food.
And one last thing. Definitely get the sharp cheddar cheese that the recipe calls for, or even extra sharp cheddar cheese. Mild cheddar just won’t cut it.
This soup will warm your tummy, your heart and most importantly, your taste buds.
Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 white onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, diced very small
- 4 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 heads fresh broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash of nutmeg
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 12 oz white American cheese, cubed (not processed food slices)
- 16 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- In a large soup pot, add the butter, onion, carrots, and celery. Cook over medium heat for about 4 - 5 minutes until carrots are tender.
- To the pot, add broth and broccoli. Boil 10 minutes to soften the broccoli.
- In a small bowl, add milk, cornstarch, garlic, and all seasonings. Stir well until all cornstarch lumps are dissolved. Pour the cornstarch mixture into the soup pot and bring to a very low simmer.
- Add in cheese and cream. Stir continually to melt. Stir until cheese is smoothly blended.
- Serve immediately.
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for Chili, Soup & Stew Supplies:
- 6 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 12 qt Large Nonstick Stockpot
- 6.5 qt. Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Soup Ladle (dishwasher safe!)
- 4 piece Stoneware Soup Bowl Set
See all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners
Would this freeze well with the cream and cheese?
Is one stick of butter 1/2 a cup?
Jenn K says
Yes, 1/2 cup (8 Tbsp) – I’ll update the recipe. Thanks! 🙂
I noticed several of these recipe have chicken broth… It does in this one says vegetable broth ,Vegetarians don’t us it and most don’t eat eggs or chesse !
I made this last night! Had an extra head of broccoli from the farm I didn’t know what to do with. This was oh so good! Thanks for the recepie We will make this again.