Can we talk about the word dumplings for a second?
Why dumplings? I mean I get it…you’re dumping in a dollop of dough into a bubbling pot of soup. But the ‘dump’ part of that has a bit of a negative ring to it.
I’m thinking that these guys are having a branding crisis and need to be ‘rebranded’ to DARLINGS.
Don’t you agree???
DARLINGS, not dumplings.
Because these heaps of perfectly cooked dough and just that…DARLING.
They are so darling to my taste buds. Darling, Darling, Darlings. 😉
Chicken & Dumplings
Yield – 4 to 6 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 1 1/4 lb. chicken thighs, boiled and shredded
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 8 cups chicken stock or water
- 1 cups heavy cream or whole milk
- 4 carrot sticks, peeled and cut into circles
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh parsley, optional garnish
- 2 cups flour
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- Boil and shred the chicken. Note: You could use all white meat or mix of white and dark meat. I prefer the depth of flavor from the dark meat with chicken & ‘darlings.’ 🙂
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter and whisk in the flour until a paste forms. Whisk in the chicken stock and bring to bubbling, stirring occasionally. Sauce will thicken as it bubbles. Stir in the shredded chicken, carrots, celery, dried thyme, garlic powder and salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer for about 15 minutes, or until veggies have softened and soup has thickened.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, eggs and milk until thick dough forms. Drop a spoonful on top of the soup…dough should make 8 medium dumplings or more smaller size dumplings. Cover and cook for 15 minutes, or until dough is cooked through. Dough will appear soft on the top and bottom.
- Serve Chicken & Dumplings with side of veggies, or as a one-dish dinner.
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for Chili, Soup & Stew Supplies:
- 6 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 12 qt Large Nonstick Stockpot
- 6.5 qt. Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Soup Ladle (dishwasher safe!)
- 4 piece Stoneware Soup Bowl Set
See all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners