Got a gluten free friend who is addicted to “Christmas Crack” but can’t have it because it uses saltine crackers? Or are you trying to eliminate grains or gluten but still want your favorite holiday treat?
Here’s a simple and easy recipe that is loaded with sweet and salty crunch that is completely grain and gluten free. (Please note, it is does contain tree nuts and dairy.)
And the fact that it is loaded with sugar means that it’s really, really good for you when you eat it during the holiday season. (Right, right, someone please tell me this is how it works?????)
I need to make more of this….like right now!!!
Toast the almonds.
Make the caramel layer and add chocolate chips on top.
The chocolate chips will easily melt from the heat of the caramel layer. Spread the chocolate out, then sprinkle with pecans over the top.
I shared a few short videos on Instagram of the process for making this amazing toffee. Watch them in order and you’ll see just how easy this is!!!
- Caramel Layer Video #1Â
- Chocolate Chips Layer Video #2Â
- Spreading the Chocolate Video #3
- Adding the Pecans & Almonds Video #4
See, it really is that simple! Your turn…
Homemade Almond & Pecan Toffee
- 1 cup almonds, whole
- 1 cup butter,sliced
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract(or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2cups chocolate chips (semi-sweet, dark or milk chocolate would work!)
- 1/2 cup pecans, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Spread almonds in an even layer on the prepared baking sheet. Place into oven and bake until toasted, about 10 minutes; set aside while you prepare the caramel sauce layer.
- In a saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, vanilla and salt over medium heat. Cook, whisking constantly, until butter has melted and mixture is almond brown in color, about 10-15 minutes.
- Immediately pourthe hot caramel mixture evenly over the toasted almonds on the baking sheet. The caramel layer will spread and hold it's shape around the almonds.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top of the caramel and then spread it around with your finger tips or spoon.Sprinkle the chopped pecans on top and then let it cool completely.
- Once cooled and hardened, break into pieces and devour!
Erinâ€™s Personal Recommendations for Sweets & Treats Supplies:
- Silpat Baking Mats
- Wilton Parchment Paper
- AirBake Baking Sheets, 3 pack
- Silicone Brownie Squares Baking Mold
- Silicone Snowflake Mold
- Christmas Themed Lollipop Candy Mold
- Silicone Baking Molds: Green Christmas Tree Cake Pans, set of 4
- 12 Cup Silicone Muffin & Cupcake Baking Pan
See all of our 31 Days of Holiday Sweets & Treats Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners
- 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews
This recipe is featured on Meal Plan Monday Holiday Treats.