So dipping apples in peanut butter has been a long time snack favorite around here. My older boys will happily dip apples in peanut butter for a protein punch in the afternoon, but neither of them would touch a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with a ten foot pole.
(I don’t get it, but it is what it is.)
I decided to ‘put it to a test’ (albeit, not really a fair test!) to see if it’s a ‘sandwich thing’ or a ‘bread with PBJ thing’ and the results…it’s a bread with PBJ thing.
They gobbled these babies right up, and so did Steve and I!
First off, you’re going to need an apple corer, for ease in removing the core. Once the core is removed, you can lop off the top and bottom and then slice horizontally creating ‘rings.’
If you plan to eat them right away, you won’t need to sprinkle lemon juice onto them.
Add a couple dashes of cinnamon to both sides of the apple rings, then spread the almond butter around the ring and add another ring and make into a sandwich.
Easy peasy, budget-friendly Paleo (and whole30) snack!
P.S. If you have a Costco membership, buying a large jar of almond butter is by far the cheapest way to get almond butter.
- 2 small or 1 large apple, like Fuji, Jonagold or Honeycrisp
- 1 tsp about 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup almond butter
- lemon juice, optional
- Remove the core from the apple and then slice horizontally into 8 rings. You can also slice and then use a small circle to cut out the piece of the core from that slice.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon onto the rings. (Note: If you need to use lemon juice, sprinkle onto the apple before adding to the cinnamon. If you send for lunch in a lunchbox, you'll want to soak the rings in a lemon-juice water mixture to help slow down the oxidation/browning, then sprinkle with cinnamon.)
- Spread a couple teaspoons of the almond butter around one of the 'rings' and top with the other ring to make a sandwich.
- Serve Apple & Almond Butter sandwiches for a snack, or lunch.
Pin all of our 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes here!
See all of our 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes