If I was asked what kind of soup I’d like to drown myself in, it would be this right here. Really, no one will ever ask me what kind of soup I would want to drown in. But if they did, I would say this.
This is lick the bowl clean kind of good.
It’s thick, it’s rich, it’s creamy.
It’s drown-yourself-in-it worthy.
What makes this so delicious is that you cook the bacon in the same pan as you make the base of the soup. Then, you load on the traditional baked potato toppings and voila.
This is comfort food soup at its very finest.
Now, go make yourself a bowl and drown yourself in it. Or lick the bowl clean. (It’s ok…I did, so you should too.)
Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Inspired by: Center Cut Cook
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 4 to 8 strips bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 4 cups milk
- 8 oz. sour cream
- 4 baking potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2″ cubes
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Parsley, chives or green onions for garnish
- Fresh veggies, as side dish
- In a heavy saucepan, cook the bacon until crispy. Set aside on paper towel to drain, then crumble. Pour off most of the bacon drippings, leaving some in the pan.
- In the same pan with the bacon drippings, melt the butter, then whisk in the flour and milk, quickly. Let cook over medium low heat until bubbling. Stir in the sour cream, the potato cubes and 1 cup of the cheddar cheese. Let cook over medium low heat for about 20 minutes, or until the potato cubes have softened and soup has thickened. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Prepare fresh veggies.
- Serve Loaded Baked Potato Soup with remaining cheese, crumbled bacon and chives/green onion/parsley, along with some veggies.
Erin’s Personal Recommendations for Chili, Soup & Stew Supplies:
- 6 qt. Cast Iron Dutch Oven
- 12 qt Large Nonstick Stockpot
- 6.5 qt. Programmable Touchscreen Slow Cooker
- Stainless Steel Soup Ladle (dishwasher safe!)
- 4 piece Stoneware Soup Bowl Set
See all of our 31 Days of Chili, Soups & Stews Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes
- 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes
- 31 Days of Grilling Recipes
- 31 Days of 31-Minute Dinners