When hunting around the Paleo-blog-osphere this past month, I came across many ‘no-brainer-I-can-make-these-for-5-bucks’ recipes, including this one. Frittatas are great budget-friendly Paleo meals because they use simple ingredients, are heavy on the protein and could work for breakfast, lunch, dinner or even a midnight snack.
The only main difference between a ‘regular’ frittata and a Paleo frittata is the milk…I used unsweetened, non-vanilla/plain coconut milk. You can’t taste it at all…not even the slightest hint of coconutty. Because the other flavors and spices in the dish overpower and dwarf it. You could also omit it entirely and just have an egg-only frittata.
So what makes this Southwestern…the green chilies. (You could use red chilies, if you are in the red chili camp 🙂 ) Also, the mix bell peppers and the smoky cumin. Plus, I threw in some sausage for extra protein. (Chorizo would be an amazing substitution in this frittata!
I baked this on a quiche baking dish. What I’ve written below is probably too much for a 9″ pie plate, although you could reduce the number of eggs and the milk slightly so it will fit in a pie plate. You could also bake this into an 8×8 or 9×9 or 7×11-inch glass baking dish too.
Hope you enjoy yet another budget-friendly Paleo frittata in our 31 Days of Budget-Friendly Paleo series!
- 1/2 lb. mild ground Italian sausage
- 10 eggs
- 1/4 cup unsweetened, plain coconut milk not canned coconut milk
- 4 oz can green chilies undrained
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 2 red or green bell peppers seeded and sliced
- avocado slices, salsa garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a quiche baking dish or 8x8/9x9/7x11-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray or olive/coconut oil spray.
- Brown the sausage (or chorizo). Drain well and add to the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut milk, green chilies, minced onion, garlic powder, ground cumin and some salt and pepper.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage in the baking dish. Then float the bell pepper slices into the eggs.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Serve Southwestern Frittata with avocado slices and salsa.