A magical combination of tart and sweet in this 4-Ingredient Rhubarb Dump Cake
Rhubarb has a bit of a reputation for being a TART.
A TARTY, TARTY, TART-TART.
They are legit tart. Which is why they are often paired with sweeter fruits like strawberries and other berries.
But for some “purists” – like my mom – rhubarb is meant to be enjoyed “without all that other fruity stuff.”
When we are at the lake cabin with her, I like to make rhubarb-y, tart-y dishes for her and let me tell you about this one.
It was GONE IN MINUTES.
The entire pan, polished off.
It’s very similar to the other ‘dump’ cakes that we have around here. And here’s how I made it…
How to Make Rhubarb Dump Cake
Most dump cakes involve a canned pie filling, topped with a cake mix + butter combo.
For this one, I swapped the pie filling for thawed frozen rhubarb pieces + sugar. I did the same “cake mix + butter” topping.
Some recipes call for melted butter drizzled over the top of the cake mix…
(that stands for in my humble opinion)
The consistency of the topping is just better when you cut softened butter into the cake mix…versus pouring melted butter over the top.
Other Dump Cake & Rhubarb Recipes on $5 Dinners
- Rhubarb Dream Bars
- Rhubarb Crumb Pie
- Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal
- Caramel Apple Spice Dump Cake
- Peach Dump Cake
- 2 16 oz. bags of frozen rhubarb thawed
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 box vanilla white cake mix
- 1/2 cup butter softened
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Spread the thawed (if they were frozen) rhubarb pieces into the base of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle the sugar evenly over the rhubarb.
- In a small mixing bowl, cut the butter into the dry cake mix until crumbles form.
- Sprinkle the crumbled cake mix combo over the rhubarb in the baking dish. Spread evenly and flatten as best you can.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until the top is golden brown. Let cool slightly.
- Serve warm, at room temp, or chilled - best with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream topping.