Now that it’s rhubarb season…and the start of berry season, I thought a strawberry rhubarb baked oatmeal was in order. I took the baked oatmeal recipe from my Breakfast and Lunch Cookbook and gave it a few twists.
And this is what I got…
3 stalks rhubarb. plus about 3 cups diced strawberries (that I froze recently.)
Toss the strawberries and rhubarb together in the bottom of a 9×13 baking pan. Then pour the batter over the top and gently stir in the fruit.
Give it a good sprinkling of brown sugar. Be generous!
Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal
- about 2 cups diced rhubarb
- about 3 cups diced strawberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup brown sugar, for sprinkling
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9x13 baking dish.
- Toss the rhubarb and strawberries in the baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients, except the brown sugar. Pour the batter over top of the fruit and stir gently to combine the fruit.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
- Serve Strawberry Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal with milk, cream, yogurt (or even with ice cream as a dessert!).
This recipe is featured on Southern Plate’s Easter Recipe & More Round Up.