For my friends who are looking for a low-carb breakfast, look no further!!! I’m not sure you can have a breakfast that’s any more low-carb than this!!!
Zucchini, sausage, eggs, little cheese. Topped with some fresh tomatoes and chives. Mmmmmmmm.
Oh, and funny snippet about zucchini…
All of my boys have had some kind of speech delay/issue as they’ve grown through the toddler years. I’ve sat through many a speech therapy session and have all kinds of resources around the house to help them with their speech. My 3rd son is 5+ and while he didn’t have some of the early speech issues and language barriers to catch up on, he does have some articulation issues now. We are working through them, fast and furiously. But every time we serve zucchini at dinner (it’s my oldest’s favorite vegetable), he always pipes up with “Mom, do I have to eat a bite of ‘bikinis’?” They aren’t his fave, but he knows he has to eat one bite!
LOL – sweet thing calls zucchini – ‘bikinis’ – and it’s the most adorable thing ever!!! I’ve tried to get it on video, but haven’t yet!
Now, back to your regularly scheduled low-carb “brinner”…
- 4 zucchini
- 1/2 lb breakfast sausage
- 1/4 cup celery diced
- 1/4 cup onion diced
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 Tbsp dried chives
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup green onions, chopped optional
- 1/2 cup grape tomatoes, halved optional
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray your casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Trim the ends of the zucchini and halve them lengthwise.
- Remove the seeds with a spoon or melon baller.
- Boil the zucchini for 2 minutes and remove to the prepared baking dish.
- Bake the zucchini for 15 minutes in the 400 degree oven.
- Meanwhile, brown the sausage. Add the celery and onion and cook another 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the seasonings and eggs to the sausage mixture and cook until eggs are just done.
- When the zucchini is ready, take them out of the oven and carefully spoon the egg mixture into the zucchini boats.
- Sprinkle with cheese and carefully return to the 400 degree oven. REMEMBER this pan is very hot!
- Bake for 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with green onions and tomatoes.