This is the classic sausage-egg-mcmuffin in casserole form. It’s just like any other egg casserole, except you use English muffins instead of bread for the base of the egg casserole.
I know, so simple and easy. And different. This one happened by accident when I went to make an egg casserole and we were out of bread…but had English muffins. Problem solved.
And easy to adapt too. You could use bacon instead of the ground sausage. You could leave out the sausage or bacon for a simple vegetarian version. GF bread also does really well in egg casseroles if you want to make a GF version too.
And read the recipe closely, so you don’t miss the secret ingredient 🙂
- 6 English muffins, torn into pieces
- 1 lb. ground sausage
- 8 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 Tbsp spicy mustard
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Fresh fruit, as side dish
- Preheat the oven to 350. Spray a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Brown and drain the ground sausage.
- To the prepared baking dish, add the torn English muffins and browned sausage.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, spicy mustard and salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the bread and sausage. Top with shredded cheese. (Option: cover with plastic wrap and let sit in the fridge overnight.)
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 to 50 minutes, or until eggs are set and cooked through in the middle. I sometimes cover mine with foil the last 15 minutes of baking, to keep it from getting overly brown on top.
- Serve Egg McMuffin Casserole with side of fresh fruit.