Holy flavor-wow! Who knew that these common pantry staples could transform chicken into a divine masterpiece!
There is absolutely nothing expensive about any of these ingredients. Nothing at all.
You might have most of them on hand right now.
(Except maybe sugar-free raisins/currants. If you aren’t strict Paleo, you can use regular raisins.)
The cinnamon. The cumin. The raisins. Combined with the onions and garlic. Seriously, a flavor explosion.
I ended up scooping up some of the raisin-tomato sauce up with each bite of sweet potato…they complemented each other perfectly too!
This right here is an amazing, budget-friendly Paleo meal for you!
Adapted from: Popular Paleo
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 35 minutes
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts, or 2 lb. chicken thighs, drumsticks, split-breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small white onion, chopped
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup sugar-free raisins or currants
- Chopped cilantro, as garnish
- Fresh veggies, as side dish (we had sweet potatoes & broccoli)
- Add the olive oil to a Dutch oven or hefty stockpot. Brown the chicken pieces for a few minutes on each side. Sprinkle a little salt and pepper on all sides. Transfer to a plate nearby.
- To the same pot, saute the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes (deglaze the pan with 1/2 cup of water or sugar-free chicken or vegetable broth, if necessary), then stir in the crushed tomatoes. Drizzle the honey into the sauce, stirring while you drizzle it. Then stir in the cinnamon, ground cumin and salt. Stir in the raisins.
- Add the chicken pieces back into the sauce and turn heat to low. Simmer for 15-20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
- Prepare veggies.
- Serve Paleo Moroccan Chicken with cilantro garnish and veggie side dishes.
See all of our 31 Days of Budget Friendly Paleo Recipes here!
Other “31 Days of” Series to check out:
- 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas
- 31 Days of Slow Cooker Meals
- 31 Days of Gluten Free Meals
- 31 Days of Freezer Cooking Recipes
- 31 Days of Skillet Dinner Recipes
- 31 Days of Breakfast Recipes