So we started with a baked oatmeal – Cinnamon Roll Baked Oatmeal – and we’re ending with a baked oatmeal. Why? Because it’s a quick and easy. And fills up my little dudes!
I recently shared on Facebook about how my little dudes were eating more than me and soon I’ll be broke. It’s a good thing I LOVE to cook and bake and know how to do it on a budget! lol
So with these baked oatmeals I’ve been sharing…I don’t usually include a ‘cream cheese frosting or cinnamon roll drizzle’ because that would make them just too sweet for brekkie. If you wanted to make a simple cream cheese frosting with cream cheese, powdered sugar, a drop of vanilla…that would totally work for this baked oatmeal. But then you’d be having dessert instead of breakfast!
There is a touch of sweetness from the carrots, and more from the raisins. Add in the little crunch from the chopped walnuts and you’ve got a perfect mock of carrot cake for breakfast!
Another reason I love baked oatmeals is that they are super easy to make gluten free…just use certified GF oats & any GF flour baking blend! You end up with a filling GF breakfast/snack that doesn’t cost a fortune!
- 3 cups quick cooking oats
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla(or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 4 whole carrots, peeled and shredded (about 2 cups)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Milk, cream or yogurt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a 9x13-inch glass baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large mixing bowl or stand mixer, add the oats, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking powder and salt. Add the eggs, milk, oil, and vanilla and then beat on low until smooth and loose batter forms. Add the shredded carrots and raisins to the batter. Pour into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle the chopped walnuts on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean in the middle.
- Serve Carrot Cake Baked Oatmeal with milk, cream or yogurt.