Beans & Rice doesn’t have to be boring! Try this Monterrey Beans with Cheese dish for a scrumptious, filling dinner!
Beans and rice. Rice and beans.
It can get boring. But it doesn’t HAVE to be! This recipe is bursting with flavor, has budget-friendly ingredients, is served with a nice variety of colors, and will fill up those hungry tummies in your home!
How to Make Monterrey Beans with Cheese
Saute the onions and bell peppers in olive oil.
After about 5 minutes, onions will become translucent and peppers will soften.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes…
Sauce is ready for the beans and the spices!
Add the drained red kidney beans.
Mix them into the sauce.
Add the chili powder and salt.
Stir together and let simmer about 10 minutes.
Then add the shredded cheese.
Stir the cheese in and let it melt into the sauce.
Keep heat on low until ready to serve.
If you leave it simmering on the stovetop longer than 10 minutes, put the lid on it to keep too much liquid from escaping.
Serve over rice with a pinch full of shredded cheese on top.
Side ideas: sliced avocado, side salad, steamed veggies
Scroll down for more rice and beans recipes from $5 Dinners!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 15 oz. cans red kidney beans drained
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese as garnish
- SIDE: Cook rice as directed on package.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Saute the chopped onion, red and green bell peppers for 4-5 minutes, or until onions become translucent.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and drained red kidney beans.
- Stir in the chili powder and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and let melt into the sauce.
- Serve Monterrey Beans with Cheese over rice, with pinchful of shredded cheese as garnish. A side salad or steamed veggies is a great side dish option.