Beans & Rice doesn’t have to be boring! Try this Monterrey Beans with Cheese dish for a scrumptious, filling dinner!
Beans and rice. Rice and beans.
It can get boring. But it doesn’t HAVE to be! This recipe is bursting with flavor, has budget-friendly ingredients, is served with a nice variety of colors, and will fill up those hungry tummies in your home!
How to Make Monterrey Beans with Cheese
Saute the onions and bell peppers in olive oil.
After about 5 minutes, onions will become translucent and peppers will soften.
Stir in the crushed tomatoes…
Sauce is ready for the beans and the spices!
Add the drained red kidney beans.
Mix them into the sauce.
Add the chili powder and salt.
Stir together and let simmer about 10 minutes.
Then add the shredded cheese.
Stir the cheese in and let it melt into the sauce.
Keep heat on low until ready to serve.
If you leave it simmering on the stovetop longer than 10 minutes, put the lid on it to keep too much liquid from escaping.
Serve over rice with a pinch full of shredded cheese on top.
Side ideas: sliced avocado, side salad, steamed veggies
Scroll down for more rice and beans recipes from $5 Dinners!
Monterrey Beans with Cheese
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 2 - 15 oz. cans red kidney beans drained
- 2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup shredded cheddar or Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese as garnish
- SIDE: Cook rice as directed on package.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium high heat. Saute the chopped onion, red and green bell peppers for 4-5 minutes, or until onions become translucent.
- Stir in the crushed tomatoes and drained red kidney beans.
- Stir in the chili powder and salt.
- Reduce heat to low and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the shredded cheese and let melt into the sauce.
- Serve Monterrey Beans with Cheese over rice, with pinchful of shredded cheese as garnish. A side salad or steamed veggies is a great side dish option.
Favorite Rice & Beans Recipes
Vegetarian Enchilada Stuffed Zucchini
The beans and rice make this dish so filling, you will never miss the meat.
Black Beans with Mango & Cilantro
Hope you enjoy this spin on black beans!
Rice and Bean Soup
aka “Cupboard Soup,” as in use what you’ve got in the cupboard
Mexican Bean Soup with Spanish Rice
Delicious, filling, and super easy!
Dominican Rice and Beans
The best recipe that I can remember for making Dominican Rice and Beans. I’m not sure there’s an “exact” recipe for these anywhere, as they are made everyday for lunch.
Rotel Beans and Rice
Dominican Rice and Beans meets some spice!
Slow Cooker Black Beans and Rice
The perfect way to feed a crowd or a large family!
Coconut Rice and Beans
The pineapple juice gives just enough sweetness to balance the coconut milk
Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans
Sometimes when you throw random things together, it turns out pretty great!
Red Quinoa with Avocado, Black Beans and Corn
Superb and extra points for being Gluten Free!
Brown Rice with Black-eyed Peas and Greens
Take your black-eyed peas up a notch with mustard greens and some zesty jalapeno diced tomatoes!
Red Beans and Rice
Toss it all together in a pot…and let it simmer…and fill your home with the smells of Louisiana
Tomato Black Bean Barley Soup
Comfort food at it's finest!
Southwest Wild Rice Pilaf
You could certainly make this with all wild rice, or all brown rice. Whatever floats your pilaf boat!
Quinoa Soft Tacos
Move on over beef and chicken…there’s a new protein in Soft Taco Town…Quinoa!
Veggie “Fried Quinoa”
Love that the eggs provide the protein for this filling and healthy meal!
Strawberry Spinach Quinoa Salad
It’s lovely because it tasted light, but the quinoa made the me feel full.
Quinoa with Pan Roasted Brussels Sprouts
This could certainly be a main dish in and of itself, or a delicious side dish with some grilled chicken or steaks
Leave a Reply