Yes, this is a lovely, lovely salad. It’s lovely because it combines a few of my favorite flavors (strawberry, spinach and almonds). It’s lovely because it tasted light, but the quinoa made the me feel full. Â And it’s even lovelier because it is made of “ingredients I had on hand.” Otherwise known as “popular ingredients that most people have”…because I don’t buy too many crazy, off the wall or expensive ingredients…so chances are you have these ingredients too! And as you can see from the photo, I chopped up whole almonds…using what I have on hand. It would have been easier to use slivered or chopped almonds (or pecans!), but I didn’t have those, so we made do. I’m all about improvising, and making do with what I can find in the pantry!
Variation: If I’d had poppyseed dressing on hand, I would have used that…but I used a sweeter red wine vinaigrette that I found in the fridge. A balsamic vinaigrette would be lovely too. Use what you’ve got!
My favorite salad that I eat for lunch several times a week is topped with diced mango, diced avocado and a tangy vinaigrette. So that combo is next on my list for a quinoa summer salad! Nom-nom!
(Price breakdown: 1 lb. strawberry boxes for $1.98 this week! More info on quinoa prices here. Baby spinach pulled from the big box of spring mix I buy every week.)
Strawberry Spinach Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups white quinoa ($1.50)
- 6 large strawberries, hulled and chopped ($1.50)
- 2 handfuls fresh baby spinach, chopped ($.50)
- About 1/4 to 1/3 cup chopped or slivered almonds ($1)
- Dressing drizzles - balsamic, poppyseed, or other sweet vinaigrette ($.25)
- Rinse the quinoa with cold water.
- Cook the quinoa according to package directions. Cool for at least 2 hours in the fridge.
- When ready to serve, mix together the chilled quinoa, strawberries, chopped spinach and almonds. Drizzle the dressing over the top.
- Serve chilled as main dish, or side dish. Perfect for lunch too!