Move on over beef and chicken…there’s a new protein in Soft Taco Town…Quinoa!
Everyone at our dinner table is a fan of quinoa…one more reluctantly than the others. Tyler wasn’t quite convinced about this new ingredient in his tortilla, but I was able to convince him that it was like “tiny rice” and he took a bite, then another, and so on. Then he made me giggle by complaining about the “green thing on my green avocado”…he didn’t want to eat the cilantro piece that was stuck on his avocado slices. Silly little dude.
I’m flagging this one as a “pantry staples” recipe because the only ingredients that I had to add to my shopping list were tortillas and cilantro. (And possibly avocados for you…but I buy those every week, since they are considered a staple around here!)
You can tell by the looks of the photo, that this recipe is pretty straightforward.
- Cook the quinoa.
- Mix in the beans, corn, tomatoes.
- Top with avocado slices and cilantro.
- Spoon, wrap, eat.
Let me know what you think about the new protein in Taco Town!
(Need a GF version? Leave out the tacos and eat as a “quinoa taco salad!”)
Quinoa Soft Tacos
- 1 cup white or red quinoa
- 1 Tbsp store bought or homemade taco seasoning
- 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can corn, drained
- 15 oz can tomatoes, drained
- 1 large or 2 small avocados, sliced
- Small bunch cilantro, chopped
- 8 Flour Tortillas
- Cook the quinoa with water (or chicken broth if you want more flavor), as directed on the package. Add the taco seasoning while it's cooking. Once cooked, stir in the black beans, corn, tomatoes and combine together.
- Spoon the quinoa mixture into the tortillas and top with avocado slices and chopped cilantro.
- Serve Quinoa Soft Tacos.
I am going to give this a try! I am a celiac, so quinoa is something I do not mind eating. My wife on the other hand can’t get to excited about it. I can get her to eat it with some peanut butter mixed in instead of rice, but that’s about it. I never gave a thought to mixing in with other foods in place of meat. Brilliant! – Michael
Cheryl Yoder says
I just started eating quinoa and LOVE the flavor. This looks great! Thanks!
Love and am going to try this recipe on my family, although they have never been known to only eat 2 tacos each!
Made these for dinner last night and my family LOVED them! Eating leftovers for lunch as I type this, will be keeping this recipe to use again, thanks!