Whisk up these homemade spice blends to save money!
I love, love, love my homemade taco seasoning mix.
It’s convenient, cheap and oh-so-tasty. And I’m mixing up a new homemade seasoning mix today…this time for ranch dressing!
This past weekend I planted some lettuce and other cold weather veggies. I try to eat a salad for lunch everyday and usually mix up a quick vinaigrette. And while I love my vinaigrettes, I also like variety.
I’ve been craving ranch dressing lately and much prefer this dairy-free homemade ranch dressing. While I wait for the fresh parsley, dill and basil to grow up in the garden and be ready for some “fresh herbs” ranch dressing mix, I plan on using this version with the dried spices until then.
I also love this because it costs a fraction of what you would pay for a packet at the store, and makes twice as much!
Before we get to the recipe, how about a few homemade seasoning mixes to try out!
Homemade Ranch Dressing Seasoning Mix
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Add each of the dried spices to a bowl and gently stir.
- Store in a resealable plastic baggie or small ball canning jar with tight fitting lid in your spice cabinet.
- To make the ranch dressing, whisk together 1/3 cup mayonnaise with 1/4 cup milk (more or less depending on the consistency you want) with 1 Tbsp of the homemade ranch dressing seasoning mix. Season with salt, to taste. Use immediately and can refrigerate for up to 3 days.
- Makes about 3-4 Tbsp worth of mix.
- Use about 2 Tbsp when a packet of Ranch dressing mix is called for.
To Make Homemade Ranch Salad Dressing
Add 1/2 cup mayonnaise, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1/2 cup milk with 2 Tbsp of the above mix. Shake or whisk together and pour over a salad.
To Make Homemade Ranch Dip
Add 1 cup of sour cream plus 2 to 3 Tbsp of the above mix, with a pinch or two of salt (to taste.) Let sit in the fridge for at least 2 hours, to allow flavors to mingle. Serve with veggies or crudites.
Recipes from $5 Dinners that call for homemade ranch dressing mix
- Ranch Chicken and Potatoes Casserole
- Slow Cooker Creamy Ranch Chicken
- Creamy Ranch Chicken Skillet
- Avocado Ranch Dip
- Roasted Red Cabbage with Homemade Ranch Dressing
- Homemade Dairy-Free Ranch Dressing