Here’s a fun and zippy meal that your family is sure to enjoy. You can control the “heat” easily in this one…depending on your family’s taste buds. This meal is hearty, filling and oh so tasty…it was enjoyed by everyone at our dinner table!
Here are a couple of helpful posts to make this dinner a little quicker to prepare, and cheaper than buying pre-prepared too!
- How to Make Shredded Chicken
- Batch Grilling Chicken -> cubed chicken
- Pasta – To Rinse or Not to Rinse?
- Homemade White Sauce
And because of dairy allergies in the family, I have to make my own cream sauces, using a dairy free margarine and non-dairy milk (I suggest rice milk, as it has the blandest flavor. Whatever you do, don’t use a vanilla flavored milk to make a savory white sauce!)
Note: Pasta…I generally don’t spend more than $.50 on a box of pasta. And in some cases you can get it free, if your store still doubles coupons!
Cajun Chicken Fettuccine
Inspired by Plain Chicken
Yield – 4 to 6 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 1 lb. fettuccine noodles ($.50)
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine ($.75)
- 6 Tbsp flour ($.20)
- 3-4 cups milk (depending on how thick/thin you want the sauce ($.75)
- 2 cups cooked shredded or cubed chicken ($2)
- 2 Tbsp cajun seasoning mix ($.15)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional garnish: chopped parsley
- Side dish suggestions: Broccoli, green beans ($1)
- Prepare the pasta noodles as directed.
- Meanwhile, prepare the cream sauce. Melt the butter in a large skillet. Whisk in the flour, and then quickly whisk in the milk. Bring to slow bubble, then reduce heat to medium. Stir often as it thickens. Once slightly thickened, add the chicken and cajun seasoning, as well as salt and pepper to taste. Let simmer over low heat for a few minutes. If you plan to keep it over heat for more than 10 minutes, gently stir in milk to keep it the thickness you prefer.
- Prepare side dishes.
- Serve Cajun Chicken sauce over fettuccine noodles with vegetable side.