Homemade White Sauce
- 2 T butter
- 2 T flour (Use rice flour to keep it gluten free)
- 1-2 cups milk (whole or 2% is best!)
- In saucepan, melt butter.
- Once melted, add flour and whisk with butter.
- Add milk to butter/flour mix and WHISK, WHISK, WHISK!
- Cook on medium-high heat for 5-6 minutes. Stir often. Sauce will thicken.
- If sauce is too thin, whisk in more flour.
- If sauce is too thick, whisk in more milk.
- Add chopped mushrooms for "cream of mushroom". Add 3-4 T chicken stock for "cream of chicken". Etc.
This sauce is not only more cost effective, it is healthier, as it doesn’t contain the soy, preservatives and additives.