This is the key to this muffin recipe’s yumminess: Mix together the diced apples, dried cranberries and brown sugar and fold them into the batter just before filling up the muffin tin.
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and diced
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease 12 regular size muffin tin wells. (Also makes 24 mini muffins.)
- Add the eggs, white sugar, oil, milk, vanilla to a stand mixer or mixing bowl. Mix until smooth.
- Add in the dry ingredients (minus the apples, cranberries and brown sugar.) and mix until batter is smooth.
- In a smaller mixing bowl, toss the apples, cranberries and brown sugar. Fold into the muffin batter. Pour into the greased muffin tin, filling 3/4 full.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22 to 24 minutes for regular size, or 16 to 18 minutes for mini-muffins. Let cool on cooling rack before serving.
- Serve warm with some butter!
- To Freeze: Let cool completely before adding to a plastic freezer baggie or container.
- To Thaw: Let sit on the counter for a bit, or reheat in the microwave on the defrost setting.