No room in the oven while prepping your holiday feast!?!
Not to worry…you can make your grandma’s favorite green bean casserole in the slow cooker!
Get this going about 2 to 2 1/2 hours before your big feast and you’ll have some more wiggle room to work with in the oven.
Toss the green beans and sauce in the slow cooker – then add the French’s fried onions in at the end and booooom!
Green Bean Casserole…in the slow cooker!
Other “Make Room in the Oven/on the Stovetop” Holiday Sides
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
- Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Instant Pot Cranberry Sauce (recipe coming soon!)
- Which Instant Pot is Right for Me?
Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole
- 1 lb. fresh green beans, trimmed
- 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup (or 1 cup homemade cream of mushroom soup)
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups French's fried onions, divided
- Trim the green beans.
- In the slow cooker insert, whisk the cream of mushroom soup, minced garlic, butter, flour and heavy cream. Add a few pinches of salt and pepper. Gently toss in the green beans, until covered in the sauce.
- Set on High and cook for 2 hours.
- Sprinkle fried onions on top and cook another 20 minutes.
- If you want the fried onions really crispy, transfer the green beans and sauce to baking dish and run under the broiler for 1 minute.
- Serve Slow Cooker Green Bean Casserole as side dish for holiday meal or weeknight dinner.
This recipe is featured on SouthernPlate.com’s Meal Plan Monday #93.