Learn important tips for making the perfect chocolate chip cookies at home
Want to know why bakery and delivery cookies are always so perfect?!
The dough has had time to hang out in the mixing bowl or storage dish, letting the ingredients mingle and meld and mix together.
It’s true, the butter and flour, and eggs and leavening, need time to mix together. It’s a chemistry and science thing.
I’m just going to come right out and tell you the most important hack…
The single, very best way to get the most perfect chocolate chip cookies – CHILL THE DOUGH OVERNIGHT.
I know, I know.
You don’t have enough patience for that.
Well, I have the perfect solution for you 😉
Bake 1 dozen immediately, and bake the rest of the dough the following day.
I PROMISE…it’s worth it!
There are other things you can do to level up your chocolate chip cookies, and I’m sharing all my best hacks below.
7 Hacks for Baking the Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies
#1 – let your eggs and butter come to room temperature before mixing up the dough.
#2 – Chocolate morsels and shaved chocolate make the most magical combination.
Take 4 squares of semi-sweet chocolate bar and “shave” it into smaller pieces by angling your knife and cutting it into shavings.
Mix the shavings into the dough when you add the morsels.
#3 – Yes, I already told you this one. CHILL YOUR DOUGH.
Place some plastic wrap over the dough and let it chill in the fridge overnight.
Remove it from the fridge about 30 minutes to 1 hour before baking to allow it to soften slightly.
#4 – Use a silicone baking mat.
It just matters.
NOTICE THE DOUGH ABOVE – this dough has not been chilled. See how it’s not as well “gelled together” as the dough below.
Chilling the dough matters the most. 😉
#5 – Use an ice cream scoop to transfer dough from the mixing bowl to the baking sheet.
The scoop shape makes perfectly rounded cookies that will “melt” well during the baking process.
See how smooth and fabulous this chilled dough looks.
#6 – Do not overbake.
Set a timer for 1 minute less than the recipe calls for and turn on the oven light.
After the time goes off, watch through the oven window until done to your likeness.
#7 – Transfer the baked cookies on the silicone mat onto a cooling rack for 5 minutes.
Can you see how the rounded ice cream scoop shape flattened into the cookie.
Perfectly crisp on the bottom edge, and soft and gooey in the middle.
More About Making Perfect Cookie Dough
- Homemade Break and Bake Cookie Dough
- How to Freeze Cookie Dough
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites (safe to eat!)
- 1 cup butter room temperature
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 oz. semi-sweet chocolate squares
- In a stand mixer or mixing bowl, cream the butter with the white and brown sugars.
- Add 1 egg at a time, mixing into the creamed sugars.
- Then mix in the vanilla.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour with the baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet ingredients, 1 cup at at time.
- Mix until cookie dough forms. Add in the chocolate chips and the shaved chocolate and mix into the dough.
- Cover the dough with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge overnight.
- About 1 hour before baking, remove the dough from the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Place a silicone baking mat on a baking sheet.
- Use an ice cream scoop to transfer the dough onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 9 minutes.
- Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack. Let cool for 5 minutes before enjoying a warm cookie.