Fakeout takeout are some of my favorite meals – especially the Chinese inspired ones!
This is a simple Kung Pao Chicken with veggies and use a store bought Kung Pao sauce. I’ve tried to make a homemade sauce a few different times and ways and it’s just not the same as what you’d get…so for this particular meal, I default to store bought Kung Pao sauce 🙂
If you have a version you love, then make a homemade sauce!
This Kung Pao chicken calls for bell peppers, zucchini and water chestnuts…and is finished off with a little chopped peanuts and chopped green onions.
Alrighty…let’s get to the delicious recipe and directions!
- 2 large boneless chicken breasts
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 8 oz can water chestnuts, drained well
- 17 oz jar Kung Pao sauce
- 1 Tbsp cornstarch, optional
- Garnish: sliced green onions and/or chopped peanuts
- Side idea: frozen eggrolls
- Side idea: white sticky rice
- 1 gallon size baggie
- Cut the chicken breasts into bite-size pieces.
- Seed and dice the red and green bell peppers.
- In a large skillet, add the canola oil and saute the chicken pieces for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the chopped red and green bell peppers, drained water chestnuts and Kung Pao sauce. Bring to bubbling over medium high heat, then reduce to low and simmer 8 to 10 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. OPTIONAL: If you need to thicken the sauce, make a slurry with the cornstarch and equal parts water and stir it into the sauce. Let simmer 2 more minutes and let sauce thicken. Garnish with sliced green onions and/or chopped peanuts.
- Cook the eggrolls, as directed.
- Cook the white rice, as directed.
- Serve Kung Pao Chicken with eggrolls and rice.