Chocolate for breakfast….sure, why not?!
This protein packed smoothie bowl is a fantastic way to start the day! Loaded with coconut, almonds (protein) with just the right about of cocoa and sweetener, and your day is off to a great start! This also makes a fantastic “need something to hold me until dinner” afternoon snack, or even dessert. You can add/subtract the sweetener, if you’re watching sugar or carbs, and you can add whatever related toppings that you’d like. (See note below on how to save/skimp on toppings!)
Quick note…you definitely want to use frozen bananas for this one, since it’s the only frozen fruit used in this smoothie…See Tips below for the reason! 🙂
Tips for Enjoying Smoothie Bowls
- Use really ripe bananas to increase the natural sweetness. Bonus points: break ripe bananas into smaller chunks and freeze them.
- Use mostly, if not all, frozen fruit. This will help make the smoothie thicker and more ice cream-like.
- Be prepared with the topping ingredients to assemble quickly.
- If your store has the bulk food bins, look for toppings like chia, slivered almonds, granola, etc. and only get how much you need. A few pinchfuls of each will only cost ya $.10-$.50!
- Use GF toppings for GF smoothie bowl.
- Eat right away!
- 3 medium, ripe bananas, frozen in chunks
- 1/4 cup almond butter
- 2 cups almond or coconut milk
- 3 Tbsp sweetener - honey, coconut sugar, white sugar
- 3 Tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 cup ice
- Topping ideas: shredded coconut, sliced or slivered almonds, chocolate coconut chips
- Add all the ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth. Smoothie should be thick.
- Pour into bowls or wide cups and add desired toppings.
- Enjoy for breakfast, snack or dessert.