Ok, friend. You have to make these. They are one of my kids’ most popular requests for lunch boxes…and I saved them for the end of our 31 Days of School Lunchbox Ideas. I sent them on their first day of school this week. I had stashed a few in the very back of the freezer, so they would actually make it to the first day of school. I dropped 2 into each lunch box and sent them on their way with some mango, strawberries, potato chips and a granola bar for a snack. I love how you can drop them into a lunchbox frozen
I gave the members of The $5 Meal Plan a sneak peek of this recipe, including it in a recent weekly meal plan…and it’s getting RAVE reviews in our secret Facebook group!
Please note the wide range on the yield for these muffins. I am a ‘7/8 full’ kind of muffin baker, so if you’re more of a 1/2-2/3 full, you’ll get more muffins. I made 2 dozen (part square, part circle) muffins, but many folks are getting 3 dozen out of this batter!
This is the square baking pan that I use. It’s fun to be different.
And one more thing, don’t use paper liners with these. Whole wheat muffins stick badly to paper muffins cups, no matter how much spray you add to the paper cups. Just go without for these. But still spray the pan generously.
These muffins are hearty, filling, yet moist and soft…with just a touch of sweetness from the tiny chocolate chips!
So here they are.
Make them again.
Whole Wheat Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins
Yield – 2-3 dozen (depending on how large you make them!)
Preparation Time – 15 minutes
Cooking Time – 25 minutes
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 2 tsp vanilla (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups milk
- 3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 Tbsp baking soda
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp salt
- 3 cups shredded zucchini
- 2 cups mini or regular chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- In a stand mixer, combine the eggs, banana, vanilla & brown sugar.
- Mix in the milk & flour together so it doesn’t splatter all over. Add the baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and salt. Mix together until batter forms.
- Mix in the shredded zucchini and chocolate chips.
- Pour into greased muffin tin, filling 2/3 full. Makes 24 muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 22-24 minutes. Let cool slightly before servings.
- To Freeze: Let cool completely to room temperature before adding to plastic freezer baggie or container.