We love breakfast for dinner. Really anytime, but especially for fast and easy dinners on busy weeknights!
NOTE: Skillet is HOT when it comes out of the oven. Do NOT attempt to grab the handle without a hot pad. Not that I have personal experience
Spinach & Bacon Frittata
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 20 minutes
- 4 slices bacon, crumbled ($.83) (Try cooking bacon in the oven.)
- 8 eggs ($.80)
- 1/4 cup milk ($.03)
- 1 tsp salt and pepper, each
- 1/2 onion, sliced into circles ($.15)
- 2 tsp olive oil ($.05)
- about 3 cups spinach (free from garden)
- 1/2 – 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($.75)
- 6 pieces of bread ($.40)
- 2-3 Tbsp (dairy free) margarine ($.20)
- Serve with fresh bananas ($.20)
- In bowl, whisk bacon crumbles, eggs, milk, salt and pepper.
- In skillet, saute onions in 2 tsp olive oil.
- Once brown, add a few tsp of water and cook another 1-2 minutes.
- Add spinach and cook over medium heat for 2 minutes, until it wilts.
- Pour egg mixture over the spinach and onions.
- Cook over medium heat for 5 minutes, until…
- Until the eggs have set around the edges.
- Bake at 450 F for 5 minutes.
- Add shredded cheese to the top and bake another 1-2 minutes until cheese melts. (I omitted this, but this is how I’ve done it before!)
- Serve with toast and bananas.
P.S. Yes, I was distracted by 2 screaming toddlers and was not paying attention when I grabbed the handle without a hot pad. I burned (first degree) all 4 fingers and part of my palm. I’m taking good care of it, under the supervison of my sister who is an MD! (So thankful she answered when I called!)