Seven pile out of the family van. All with hungry tummies. Four more family members are arriving in ten minutes.
It’s Sunday after church. But as I come in the door, a wonderful smell greets me. Thank you slow cooker for doing all the work!
It’s easy to feed a crowd on a budget with cube steak. Plus, those meat and potato types really love this meal! A perfect man-pleaser for Father’s Day. Or easy to make when you don’t want to turn on the oven or grill.
Slow Cooker Cube Steak
Yield – 12 servings
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 12 hours on low if frozen; 5-6 hours on high if thawed
- cube steak – amount you need
- 1 large family sized can of cream of mushroom soup or 2 small cans or make your own with a Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
- ½ packet dry, french onion soup mix (too salty with a full packet)
- Spoon about half of cream of mushroom soup in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Place cube steak in.
- Sprinkle with french onion soup mix and remainder of cream of mushroom soup.
- Cook on low for up to 12 hours or on high 5-6 hours.
- Serve with homemade bread, veggies or a salad, and/or baked oven rice or caramelized onion mashed potatoes!
Timing tips: If I pull the cube steak from the freezer, I start cooking this the night before. I turn it on low around 10 or 11 pm and it cooks for about 12-14 hours. (Sometimes setting the slow cooker to turn to the warm setting the last hour). If thawed, I put all the ingredients in the slow cooker no later than 7 a.m. and let it cook on high until lunch.
Adaptations: Sure, I adjust the timing and serve this for supper. A glorious weeknight treat! Not feeding a crowd? We buy the large portion at the wholesale club. But if you have less to cook just use one regular-sized can of cream of mushroom soup and a ¼ packet of French onion soup mix.
How about you? Do you make it a habit to invite folks over for a meal?