Tonight’s $5 Dinner Challenge Meal comes from Katie at Kitchen Stewardship! She is sharing a Hearty Lentil Stew…and suggests these Whole Wheat Cornbread or Corn Muffins as a side dish! At $1.25 for the muffins and about $2 for the lentil stew…this comes in well under $5!!!
Hearty Lentil Stew with Cornbread
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Cooking Time – 60 minutes
- 1 chopped onion
- 2 stalks celery, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 chopped green pepper
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 carrot, shredded
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp basil
- ½ tsp marjoram
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Serve over brown rice or potatoes, optional
- Sauté onion, celery, garlic, green pepper in a small amount of water until softened. Add 6 cups water, barley, lentils.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir, cover, cook 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover, cook 30 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or potatoes.
- Make cornbread or corn muffins.
- Serve Hearty Lentil Stew with Cornbread!
Cost – little over $3!!!
Katie is a mommy of an inquisitive 4-year-old boy and a busy 16-month-old girl. Visit her at Kitchen Stewardship, where she focuses on Baby Steps to balancing nutrition, the environment, time, and money through the eyes of faith. You’ll find weekly “Monday Missions” to challenge you to make one positive change in your kitchen each week, with supporting recipes and tips to help make it happen.