Hearty Lentil Stew with Cornbread
A fabulous and budget friendly way to do stew...with a side of cornbread.
Servings - 4 servings
- 1 small white onion chopped
- 2 stalks celery sliced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small green bell pepper chopped
- 6 cups water
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 1 lb. bag shredded carrots
- 15 oz. can tomato sauce
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp basil
- 1 tsp marjoram
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Serve with cornbread, optional
- Saut onion, celery, garlic, green pepper in a small amount of water until softened. Add 6 cups water, barley, lentils.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, stir, cover, cook 30 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, cover, cook 30 minutes.
- Serve over brown rice or potatoes.
- Make cornbread or corn muffins.
- Serve Hearty Lentil Stew with Cornbread!
Oh I’m so glad you posted this recipe. I’ve been wanting to try lentils but am a little afraid. I don’t think I’ve ever eaten them before (and I’m 35!!!) I can’t wait to try this recipe. Looks super easy and that’s totally up my alley.
Cheap Cindy says
Mmmm… I might try this tonight, I have some lentils to use up.