NOTE: This is an older post…I’m not currently on maternity leave
So. I’m on maternity leave.
But I have a problem. I really can’t sit still. We’ve been so blessed with oodles of help and gobs of food. Which has allowed me extra time to “sit still.” But, I just don’t sit still well. Despite my best efforts.
At least 12 times a day, I have to sit still. I’m nursing Austin, and boy does he like to nurse. He’s a little champion at it…regaining his birth weight at day 7…and who knows where we are now with his weight. (I’m tempted daily to bop in to the pediatrician’s office, just to see.) But I have to sit still…for a bit while he nurses. Minutes pass, hours pass…but during this “sit still” time, I still need something to do. While nursing Ryan back in the day, I turned to Alias. (Remember that TV show with Jennifer Garner…I so wanted to be a spy!) I watched all the seasons that were out on DVD at the time. With Charlie, it was catching up on 24. With Tyler, I worked right through…not taking much of a break.
And now with Austin, there’s Vine.
Have you heard of Vine?
It’s a brand new video app extension of Twitter, that allows you to shoot 6 second videos, and stop motion videos too. (These are my favorite.) I believe it’s currently available only for the iPhone. (http://www.vine.co/ for more information.)
Well, and there’s Pinterest too.
I’ve been meaning to make the energy balls that float around all over Pinterest. And I finally got around to making them for an afternoon snack this week…and of course, I couldn’t help but “vine it”…the “how-to” and the “I think the boys are in love with these…watch” videos.
- vine.co/v/b1Z03OQl19J – click on this “vine branch” to see what happened to yesterday’s batch of Gluten Free Energy Bites. Gone in seconds.
- vine.co/v/bJVeArbYzpz – and this one is the 6 second “How to Make Energy Bites” video from Vine… See, isn’t that easy?!
So back to the energy balls…I used up all the oats I had in the house for the first batch that I made on Wednesday. So when I went to make them yesterday, I needed an alternative.
Gluten Free Rice Krispies….perfect! I dumped them into the bowl first, “broke them down” slightly by crushing them with my hand and then finished mixing up the energy bites.
Hope you enjoy these as much as we did/do!
(Really, I have been enjoying the slower pace of maternity leave and all the cuddles with baby, and even the big boys!)
Gluten Free, No-Bake Energy Bites
Adapted from Food Doodles
Yield – about 20 energy bites
Preparation Time – 10 minutes
Chill Time – 1 hour
- 1 1/2 cups gluten free rice krispies (or you can usecertified GF quick cooking oats too) Note: If you wish to make a NON-GLUTEN FREE version of this, you can use regular quick cooking oats or regular rice krispies.
- 2/3 cup peanut butter (any nut butter will do)
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 cup shredded coconut flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- about 3/4-1 cup mini chocolate chips
- (See the 6 second how-to.)
- Add the rice krispies (or oats) to a bowl, crush lightly with your hand or potato masher.
- Add the peanut butter, honey, coconut flakes and cinnamon and stir together.
- Then add the chocolate chips.
- Chill in the fridge for about an hour. Then form into balls.
- Serve and watch them disappear!
(Now, back to my regularly scheduled “maternity leave.”)
Oh, and…if you do decide to join Vine, search for me…”5dollardinners”…”see you” out on the Vine!