That’s how I’d best describe this slow cooker meal.
It takes minutes to throw together.
Slice the peppers. Then slice the onions.
Add chicken to slow cooker. Season.
Top with peppers and onions.
Douse with crushed tomatoes.
Slow cook the day away.
“Fancy recipes” of chicken cacciatore call for mushrooms and cooking wine, but I left those out. 🙂
Be generous with the seasoning.
1 each – green bell pepper, red bell pepper, small white onion.
28 oz. can crushed tomatoes.
Season away, be generous.
This is one of those meals that I’ll make on a day when I know we’ll be at the pool all afternoon and I need a delicious meal to serve the boys. Hope you enjoy this delightful summer slow cooker meal!
- 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 to 1 1/4 lbs.)
- couple dashes Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- Optional: 1/4 cup red cooking wine
- 1 small white onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Side dish: dinner rolls, pasta or rice
- Place the chicken breasts in the base of the slow cooker and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Add 1/4 cup red cooking wine around the chicken, optional.
- Add the sliced onion and bell peppers over the top of the chicken.
- Then pour the crushed tomatoes over the top and add Italian seasoning and a little more salt and pepper.
- Set slow cooker on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Just before dinner, prepare the bread, pasta or rice.
- Serve Slow Cooker Chicken Cacciatore with preferred side.