A yummy twist on “Hawgs” or “Special K Bars” or “Special K Cookies” – Salted Caramel Scotcheroos!
This sweet treat goes by several names, and you can call them whatever you like…but I call them DELICIOUS!
The base is a combo of cereal with a sugar-almond butter mixture that makes for a slightly sweet and crunchy bite.
And the top is a combo of melted chocolate chips and caramel bits.
With a light dusting of salt.
For that perfect salted caramel and chocolate flavor.
For this snack, I didn’t want the peanut butter flavor that’s common with these no-bake cookie bars.
So I used almond butter in the base, and it’s a perfect complement to the caramel and chocolate topping.
Also, these are not nearly as sweet as our Peanut Butter and Chocolate version.
- Related Recipe: Peanut Butter Chocolate Special K Bars
How to Make Salted Caramel Scotcheroos
Warm the corn syrup, sugar, and almond butter and stir until smooth.
Toss the cereal with the almond butter-sugar mixture.
Mix well, and then add to piece of parchment or wax paper and form into large square.
You could press this into a baking dish, but I just do “free shapes” like this.
Sprinkle the chocolate chips and caramel bits over the top.
Run under the broiler for 1 minute to melt the chips.
Note: The warmth from the cereal mixture base probably isn’t enough to soften the caramel bits.
Spread quickly and combine the chocolate and caramel.
Then add a few sprinkles of salt, evenly over the entire square.
Pinch and sprinkle.
This is the worst part. The waiting – GAHHHH!
Can you see the salt sprinkles? Perfection!
- 1 cup corn syrup
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened almond butter
- 6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup Caramel bits
- salt sprinkles
- In a large saucepan, bring the corn syrup and white sugar to a boil. Remove from heat immediately.
- Stir in 1 cup of almond butter into the sugar combo, then add 6 cups Special K cereal and continue stirring until mixed well.
- Press mixture into a 9x13 inch pan, or into a rectangular shape on a piece of parchment paper. Sprinkle chocolate chips and caramel bits over the top.
- Spread them with a knife when the cereal mixture melts them, or if needed you can place under the broiler for a minute or so to melt the chips. Spread quickly, before the caramel bits begin to re-harden.
- Sprinkle with a few pinchs of salt, before the chocolate-caramel topping hardens.
- Cool for about an hour, and then cut into squares.
- Enjoy Salted Caramel Scotcheroos, as afternoon snack or dessert.