Panini. Yes, please.
Panini on the grill. Yes, yes, yes please.
I donâ€™t have a panini maker. While Iâ€™ve thought a time or two about how it would be nice to have one, Iâ€™ve never been able to justify buying one for â€œevery now and thenâ€â€¦especially when Iâ€™ve got a perfectly functioning grill and a brick covered with foil.
Yesâ€¦you read that right! You can use a brick covered with foilâ€¦or some other heavy contraption that will press the sandwich together on the grill as it cooks and heats through.
So how is it that Iâ€™m calling this a â€œone-dishâ€ dinner?!? If you count the grill as one dishâ€¦or the grill basket as the one dish, then it works! Paired with some fresh fruit and youâ€™ve got a perfect one dish dinner to enjoy during these warm summer nights.Â The only other dish youâ€™ll need is a cutting board and that wonâ€™t even get really messy!
The goal (or my goal at least) for one dish dinners is cooked using one dish/grill, easy cleanup, and easy prep. This recipe fits the bill!
Saute the mushrooms and sliced onions in a grill basket or skillet.
Once the mushrooms and onions are done, prepare the sandwichâ€¦spread dijon or spicy mustard onto both slices. Place 1 slice plus 1/2 slice Swiss cheese and turkey deli meat on the bread.
Top with the warm grilled onions and mushrooms, then the other 1/2 slice of Swiss and the other bread piece.
Place brick or other heavy object on top to smush the panini together. Grill for 3-5 minutes per side, depending on how hot your grill isâ€¦watch the underneaths of the edges of the bread as best you can so that it doesnâ€™t burn.
Slice and serve!Â The perfect summertime sandwich!
Turkey, Mushroom, Onion & Swiss Grilled Paninis
- 1 white onion, sliced
- 8 oz sliced mushrooms
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- About 1 Tbsp Dijon or spicy mustard
- 6 ounces turkey delimeat
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Fresh fruit; for side dish
- Grill the sliced onions and sliced mushrooms in a grill basket or skillet, 5-10 minutes, or until begin to brown. Toss or stir a few times.
- Spread the mustard on the bread and once the onions and mushrooms are done, begin to assemble the panini.
- Bread 1/2 slice Swiss turkey meat onions/mushrooms 1/2 slice Swiss bread
- Place on the grill over indirect heat and press down with brick or other heavy object. Grill for 4-5 minutes per side.
- Prepare fresh fruit for side dish.
- Serve Turkey, Mushroom, Onion and Swiss Panini with fresh fruit.