King Ranch Chicken is a super popular Tex-Mex-y type casserole. It’s named after the King Ranch in south Texas, one of the largest ranches in the U.S. And while it’s named after the King Ranch, it’s an mystery as to how this dish was connected to King Ranch and why it inherited it’s name.
We’ve shared other King Ranch-flavored recipes here on $5 Dinners in the past (see below) and I’m not quite sure how/why we haven’t ever shared our ‘original’ casserole version with you before!
This casserole is a combo of savory, spicy, and salty and the flavors just mesh and mingle so beautifully…making every bite perfect!
This recipe does call for cans of “cream of mushroom” and “cream of chicken” – you could always make your own if you prefer!
Other “King Ranch” Recipes on $5 Dinners
King Ranch Chicken Casserole
Yield – 12 servings
Preparation Time – 20 minutes
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 10 oz. can cream of mushroom soup
- 10 oz. can cream of chicken soup
- 10 oz. can diced tomatoes with green chilies (Ro-Tel)
- 3 cups shredded chicken
- 18 corn tortillas, torn into bite size pieces
- 1 cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Side salad
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray!
- In a large skillet, melt the butter and saute the chopped yellow onion and diced red peppers for 3 to 4 minutes, or until start to turn translucent. Stir in the cans of soup, the undrained can of diced tomatoes and green chilies, and the shredded chicken. Combine well and remove from heat.
- Place a layer of 1/3 of the torn tortillas into the base of the baking dish, add 1/2 of the chicken mixture. Add another 1/3 of the torn tortillas, then the rest of the chicken mixture. Add final 1/3 of the torn tortillas, and then sprinkle the shredded Monterrey Jack and shredded cheddar cheeses on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until warmed through and cheese has melted on top.
- Serve King Ranch Chicken Casserole with side salad!