Simple and Delicious Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag Recipe
This Is The Easiest Way To Make Ice Cream at Home and it’s a Fun Time for the Whole Family
A guest post from Denise.
My kids have been seeing television commercials for an ice cream maker that shows kids making their own ice cream in 15 minutes and it does look fun (and tasty!).
Problem being – these ice cream makes are $10 a piece and that’s not something I can afford for each of my 5 kids.
Instead, we figured out how to make our own ice cream using zipper-style plastic baggies that we already have in the house.
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make yummy vanilla ice cream in a bag, but you could add other ingredients like strawberries, bananas or cocoa.
My kids enjoyed adding sprinkles and chocolate syrup to the top of their creations.
This was such a great way to keep the kids entertained (and cool!) on a hot day, plus they got some exercise without even realizing it. Shake, shake, shake!
And you can turn it into a fun science lesson too.
We hope you’ll enjoy this fun family dessert making experience as much as we did!
Homemade Ice Cream in a Bag
Yield – 1 serving
Preparation Time – 5 minutes
Cooking Time – 15 minutes
- 1/2 cup whole milk or half and half
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla (or use homemade vanilla extract!)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar or sugar substitute
- 6 tablespoons rock salt
- 1 pint or quart size zip style freezer bag
- 1 gallon size zip style freezer bag
- Toppings of your choice!
- Mix vanilla, milk and sugar in a quart or pint size freezer bag and seal well.
- Fill a gallon size freezer bag with ice and add the rock salt.
- Place the small bag inside the large bag and seal well.
- Shake the bag for about 15 minutes or until the ice cream thickens. Hold the bag with oven mitts or a towel while shaking.
- Remove the inner bag and serve with toppings of your choice!