When eggs are on sale for $.88/dozen for the Easter holiday and you score a LARGE loaf of pre-sliced French bread for less than $1, you just can’t pass up making a stuffed French toast dish! And with milk on sale for $1/half gallon and cream cheese recently marked down. Plus, there have been some great fruit sales lately…so we’ll add some $.25 apples to this meal!
A “simple”-y delicious meal!
Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast
Yield – 4 servings
Preparation Time – 10 minutes (+refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight)
Cooking Time – 30 minutes
- 10 eggs ($.73)
- 1 cup milk ($.12)
- 1/8 cup favorite syrup ($.25)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon ($.03)
- About 12 thin slices of French bread ($.50)
- 2 “spotty” bananas ($.40)
- 4 oz cream cheese ($.50)
- 4 granny smith apples ($1)
- Syrup ($.50)
**Use rice bread and rice milk for the dish if you are GFCF. And omit cream cheese…will taste great with just the bananas!
- In large bowl, whisk eggs and milk. Whisk in syrup and cinnamon.
- In KitchenAid or using hand mixer, blend bananas and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. (I had frozen some cream cheese a few weeks ago. It doesn’t thaw out into its original creamy texture, so I thought this would be a good meal for “thawed cream cheese.” I used brown spotty bananas that were really ripe. Gave it a nice flavor!)
- In 8×8 baking dish, pour about 1/2 cup of egg mixture into the bottom of the dish, just enough to cover the bottom. Place bread on top of egg mixture to cover as much of the dish as possible.
- Spread banana/cream cheese over the top of the bread. Cover with a more bread slices.
- Pour the remaining egg/milk mixture over the top of the bread and cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 2 hours, but all day or overnight would be ideal!
- Bake at 350 F for 30 minutes.
- Slice apples or other favorite fruit.
- Serve Cream Cheese Stuffed French Toast with syrup and sliced apples.