The gorgeous flavors of Caprese Salad, in grilled cheese form!
I love a good Caprese salad – the fresh and light tomato, basil, mozzarella combination is one for the food world records (if that was a thing.)
I decided to make a grilled cheese version with shredded mozzarella, thinly sliced Roma tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and some pesto slathered on the insides of the bread.
Here is a photo tutorial of how to assemble the Caprese Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
Thick layer of butter for the outside, thick layer of pesto for the insides of the bread slices.
Add shredded cheese and tomato slices.
Then basil leaves and more shredded cheese. We want the cheese to melt around the tomatoes and basil.
Ready for the hot griddle or skillet!
- 8 slices sandwich bread
- 8 Tbsp butter softened
- 4 Tbsp pesto sauce
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 Roma tomatoes thinly sliced
- 8 large basil leaves
- Preheat the griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add some butter or oil to the skillet, or spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Butter the outsides of the bread slices, and spread pesto on the insides of the bread slices.
- Assemble sandwiches with these layers: shredded mozzarella, sliced Roma tomato, basil leaf, shredded mozzarella. Top with other slice of bread.
- Grill on the griddle or skillet for 2-3 minutes, carefully flip, and grill another 1-2 minutes. Repeat until all sandwiches are grilled. Enjoy!